Sunday, February 28, 2010

Major Milestone: Half-Way There!!

I am very pleased to report that today marks a rough half-way point! To date, I have completed:
  • Part Research
  • Design Specification
  • Design & construction of Gunshot Detection System
  • Design & construction of Buzzer / Power Conditioning Circuit
  • Design & construction of Prototype Case
As of Yesterday (Feb. 27), I also was successful at developing a NIOS CPU core and loading it into my FPGA. With this core I have been able to detect a user's touch and draw a dot at the point, as well as load my User Interface.

To top all of this, I have successfully designed and tested a state machine for detecting a gunshot in hardware. So far, the state machine only records the number of shots fired, not the actual times. With this state machine, I was able to accurately count gunshots with only 0.17 seconds in between (I think I could count faster, but this was the quickest I was able to fire the .22 pistol). Either way, with split times of 0.17, I have met and surpassed my target of 5 gun shots per second.

I am now in full gear developing the software to run on the NIOS core and will keep you updated!!

P.S.
A little celebration is in order, cheers :)

1 comment: